Our family’s favorite food would have to be old-fashioned, homemade vanilla ice cream. This rich and delicious homemade vanilla ice cream recipe is the best ice cream treat to eat on a hot day.
My father-in-law makes this his 6-quart ice cream maker for all of the big family gatherings in the summer like Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, birthdays, cookouts and any other reason to celebrate like a birthday party. This ice cream alone is worth the two-hour drive! Of course, we love seeing the family too 🙂
How to Make Old-Fashioned Farmhouse Ice Cream
This is a rich, creamy, delicious vanilla ice cream recipe! The eggs and whipping cream give the ice cream the full flavor that we crave in a serving of homemade ice cream. Homemade ice cream with eggs must be cooked and the cooked mixture must be cooled in the refrigerator for two hours, but the work is totally worth it! Follow the recipe closely, allow plenty of time for each step and enjoy!
Be cautious as the ice melts and salt is added to the ice that no salt gets inside the container with the ice cream. Salt would definitely change the flavor of the homemade ice cream!
My father-in-law has made this recipe for years. He shared a typewritten copy that doesn’t have a source on it. My mother-in-law shared an important note, they have a 6 quart ice cream maker, but they prepare a recipe that makes 4 quarts of ice cream. This allows it to get fluffier. Here is the ice cream maker they use.
Homemade Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
There’s a variation on his recipe that I haven’t gotten to try yet, but it sounds delicious, Cookies and Cream Ice Cream. Crumble 25 chocolate sandwich cookies into the mixture before freezing.
My family really enjoys homemade ice cream or these Miniature Cheesecakes to make for a special meal. We hope you enjoy these recipes as much as we do!
Other Delicious Summer Desserts:
Printable Old Fashioned Homemade Ice Cream Recipe
Old Fashioned Farmhouse Homemade Ice Cream
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups milk
- 4 eggs beaten
- 4 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Combine sugar, flour and salt in saucepan. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat approximately 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Gradually stir about 1 cup or hot mixture into the beaten eggs. Add egg mixture to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Cook 1 minute; remove from heat. Refrigerate 2 hours
- Combine whipping cream and vanilla in large bowl; add chilled mixture, stirring with wire whisk to combine. Freeze as directed on ice cream maker instructions.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
*We use affiliate links to products we enjoy