The best chicken stuffed bell pepper recipe is these Creamy Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Peppers. Shredded pieces of chicken in a tomato sauce with cream cheese and Parmesan cheese is super delicious!
Chicken Parm Stuffed Peppers Recipe
These peppers are stuffed with a saucy, cheesy, chicken combination that is so warm and delicious. Bake it all together in a bell pepper to add a vegetable and a great crunch.
We love how easy and hands off it is to make meals in our slow cooker, so this recipe just makes sense.
I want to cook meals that make my kids happy. Chicken and Spaghetti are a couple of their favorite meals, so using those flavor inspirations is perfect for making chicken stuffed peppers. With inspiration from chicken parm, this meal is made without pasta so it can be a low carb meal.
Chicken and cream cheese if the base of some of my best recipes from Chicken Pockets to Chicken and Stuffing Casserole.
Just like our Sausage Stuffed Peppers and Pizza Stuffed Peppers these can be baked in the oven or cooked in a crock pot.
- Green Bell Peppers – adds a fresh, grassy flavor and a slight crunch to most bites of the meal.
- Chicken Breast – turkey works fine too. We like to cook the meat in the tomato sauce mixture and shred for maximum tenderness.
- Tomato Juice – the liquid that the meat cooks in.
- Spaghetti Sauce – use your favorite pasta sauce to add a variety of fresh flavors flavors with hints of garlic and mushroom.
- Garlic – fresh cloves of a teaspoon of minced garlic from a jar all work great to add a pop of flavor.
- Italian Seasoning – Italian herbs add depth to the other ingredients.
- Cream Cheese – makes the stuffing more rich.
- Parmesan Cheese – grated parmesan adds a nice layer on top of the meaty peppers.
- Mozzarella Cheese – because more cheese makes this meal better! Can be substituted for your favorite type of shredded cheese as well.
- Italian Bread Crumbs – carbs
Step By Step Instructions to Make Chicken Parm Stuffed Peppers
Cut bell peppers in half, clean stem out and remove seeds. Set aside to dry.
Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a lined or lightly greased slow cooker.
Measure out tomato juice and mix in garlic and Italian seasoning. Pour tomato juice and pasta sauce over the chicken.
Sprinkle half of the grated parmesan cheese over the top.
Then slice up the cream cheese and spread out over the chicken.
Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours. The chicken is done when it has reached an internal temperature of 165°F and shreds easily.
Shred all of the chicken up into small, thin pieces.
Smaller pieces allow the meat to get maximum coverage of the sauce and cheese on the meat.
This is the beautiful saucy filling for the peppers.
The filling can be spooned into the peppers and baked in the oven or put back in the crock pot to finish cooking.
In the Crock Pot
We like to use a liner for easy clean up. I use the same liner I cooked the filling in and just add the pepper right back into the crock.
Keep peppers as flat as possible. Spoon as much filling as will fit into each pepper.
Sprinkle remaining parmesan cheese on top.
Then layer mozzarella and bread crumbs evenly on top.
Cover and cook on low for an additional 1 to 2 hours.
Since the filling is already cooked, the purpose of additional cooking time is to soften the pepper and melt the cheese.
Stuffed peppers with chicken made in the crock pot will be very soft and delicious
In the Oven
Coat a 9 x 13 pan or two smaller pans with non-stick cooking spray.
Arrange peppers with open side up in a single layer.
Spoon filling into peppers and layer parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese and breadcrumbs on top.
I like to bake in a 350°F oven while covered for the first 20 minutes and then uncovered for the last 10 – 20 minutes.
Keeping the dish covered with a glass lid or foil allows the peppers to soften without burning.
Uncovering the cheese to brown and the edges to crisp up a bit.
Chicken parmesan stuffed peppers baked in the oven can be soft with a hint of crisp and crunch which is very enjoyable!
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- 5 large green peppers or 7 small to medium sized peppers
- We use a 24 ounce jar of Prego spaghetti sauce which is about 2 1/2 cups of sauce
- Red, orange and yellow bell peppers also taste great in this recipe
- I like to cut the peppers in half, fill and bake on their sides as I find baking and eating is easier that way
More Easy Family Meals:
Crock Pot Chicken Cordon Bleu is so creamy and super easy to make with fabulous flavors!
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Casserole has a few simple layers and there’s no stirring required and makes a perfect baked chicken casserole.
Lazy Lasagna only has 3 ingredients and makes people happy!
Cheesy Sausage & Potato Casserole is another easy homestyle meal that tastes great made in the crock pot or oven
Creamy Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Peppers
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 24 ounces spaghetti sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese divided
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 6 green peppers
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- Place chicken breasts in a lined or greased 6 quart or larger crock pot.
- Mix garlic and seasoning into tomato juice. Pour juice and sauce over the chicken.
- Sprinkle half of the Parmesan cheese over the sauce.
- Slice or cube block of cream cheese and distribute over the sauce mixture. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.
- When chicken is fork tender shred it up and spoon into green pepper halves.
- Top with mozzarella and remaining parmesan cheese. Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top.
- Cook stuffed peppers on low in the crock pot for an additional 1 – 2 hours. Or cover and bake in the oven at 350°F for 30 – 40 minutes until the pepper is softened.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I would like to make this dish as it looks like a great family meal. Can’t wait to try it out next week!