Are you craving the perfect caramel apple dessert? These Caramel Apple Bars are the perfect caramel apple dessert and the oatmeal topping is perfect! This recipe is another fall favorite on our farmhouse table!
Caramel Apple Desserts
The oatmeal streusel sprinkled on top of these caramel apple bars make it the perfect fall dessert! I couldn’t stop eating these bars and I didn’t even think I liked this kind of dessert.
We love that this makes a big dish, so the dessert feeds a big group or lasts several days for a small family. This is another one of my mom’s recipes and she shared some with us. What a wonderful treat! She has this Wilton 9×13″ baking dish that she uses for baking cakes and making desserts like this.
Dipping freshly picked apples in caramel is one of the highlights of fall! The flavor in these bars is very similar to our Caramel Apple Pie, but these treats are easier to pick up in your hand and eat. Caramel Apple Pork Chops is my favorite main dish with the caramel apple flavor combination on pork chops. We hope you enjoy these fabulous fall dishes as much as we do!
Tips for Making Caramel Apple Bars
- For all of my fall desserts with apples, we just read the signs at a local orchard to find out what kind of apples are available and recommended for baking.
- We prefer apples with a combination of tart and sweet flavors for baking.
- Slice or chop apples into same size pieces so they cook evenly in baked desserts.
- Nuts are optional in this recipe, but we usually leave them out to make a smoother bite. If you like crunch add the nuts!
- The bars are much easier to cut when they are cool or refrigerated.
How to Make Caramel Apple Bars
- Grease 9 x 13″ baking dish and preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl combine all crust ingredients and mix until crumbly. Press half of crumb mixture in greased pan. Bake for 8 minutes.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine caramel topping and flour. Stir constantly and bring to a boil. Boil about 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly. Stir constantly to prevent burning.
- Sprinkle apples (and nuts if using them) onto the warm base. Pour caramel mixture evenly over top. Sprinkle reserved crumbs evenly over the top.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely before cutting. Refrigerate to make cutting easier.
Printable Caramel Apple Bar Recipe
Caramel Apple Bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1-1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/4 cups butter melted
- 1-1/2 cups caramel ice cream topping
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups coarsely chopped apples
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9 x 13" baking dish.
- In a large bowl combine all crust ingredients. Mix until crumbly. Press half of crumb mixture in greased pan. Bake for 8 minutes.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine caramel topping an flour. Stir constantly and bring to a boil. Boil 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly, stirring constantly.
- Sprinkle apples (and nuts if using them) onto the warm base. Pour caramel mixture evenly over top. Sprinkle reserved crumbs evenly over the top. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely before cutting. Refrigerate for easier cutting.