Every warm fork full of this creamy old-fashioned Hamburger Noodle casserole is simply irresistible.
This easy ground beef recipe is plain enough for picky eaters to enjoy, but has a depth of flavor that all palates can appreciate.
If you like this recipe you may also enjoy our Kielbasa, Cabbage and Noodles meal or the similar Beef Noodle Skillet!
Old-Fashioned Hamburger Noodle Casserole Recipe
Comfort food on the farm looks like this Easy Cheesy Hamburger Noodle Casserole! This ground beef casserole has egg noodles, onion, cream of chicken soup, and Colby cheese.
A good family meal doesn’t get any better than a steaming bite of hamburger and noodle casserole on a cold day. Also known as beef and noodle casserole, this recipe comes from an Amish cookbook with so many quick meals for busy days.
Creamy hamburger noodle casserole is soft and very easy to chew. Even our picky eaters smile because these flavors are so enjoyable when mixed together.
We use egg noodles that are thin, but wide. Width allows them to scoop up and be surrounded by the meaty, cheesy goodness.
Mixed all together this makes a delicious hamburger hot dish. We like to serve our Zucchini Casserole with Stuffing or Air Fryer Broccoli with this meal.
Best Ground Beef Casserole
Ground beef casseroles are so practical. We will cook several pounds of hamburger at a time and mix up a few casseroles to save time. Little things like this save a lot of time in the kitchen but still enable us to enjoy home-cooked meals throughout the week.
Hands down the best ground beef casseroles are covered in cheese and possibly bacon. Our Italian Bacon Cheeseburger Pie is packed with tremendous flavor, but it’s so easy to make. Bacon really keeps our Crock Pot Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf moist! Another classic ground beef casserole in a pie plate is Easy Taco Pie.
To save time for meal prep we like to make an extra pound of ground beef and use in Keto Stuffed Pepper Soup later in the week.
Ingredients Needed to Make Amish Hamburger Noodle Casserole:
- Ground Beef
- Egg noodles
- Cream of chicken soup
- Colby cheese
Recipe Tips & Tricks:
- Cream of chicken soup can be substituted for cream of celery or cream of mushroom soup. Chicken is the most mild and will appeal to the most people.
- Can substitute a can of cream of corn for a can of soup to make a Hamburger, Corn and Noodle Casserole.
- Mix up ingredients ahead of time and refrigerate overnight before baking. Allow the dish to warm up a bit before putting in a hot oven.
- Can easily double hamburger casserole with egg noodles recipe to fit in a 9 x 13” pan.
- We prefer the thinner noodles in the bags on the shelf to the frozen noodles to allow for the flavors to combine the best.
- Cook covered with a lid or foil so the edges all stay soft and moist.
- We always use a basic casserole dish with a lid.
- I love cheese, so I’m always tempted to sprinkle more on top, but it really doesn’t need that.
How to Make Hamburger Casserole with Egg Noodles
Brown the hamburger over medium high heat in a large skillet. Cook until no pink remains in the meat.
Drain and return the burger to the pan. Add chopped onion.
I like to use a large sweet onion and have lots of mild flavor. You can use any amount of your favorite type of onion, white, yellow, red, etc.
Be sure to soften the onion in the skillet before mixing into the casserole.
Once onion is soft and translucent add cream of chicken soup.
The original recipe calls for one to two cans, but I always use two small cans for an extra creamy casserole.
Add cooked and drained noodles to the skillet. I like to use a spatula to gently fold the noodles into the creamy ground beef mixture.
Pour into a lightly greased 2 to 2 1/2 quart casserole dish.
Sprinkle with Colby cheese. Other cheeses like cheddar taste fine, I just really love Colby in this recipe.
Cover with a lid or foil and bake in a 350°F oven for about 25 minutes.
Stir the cheesy into the creamy beef noodle casserole. Cover and return to the oven for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
Slow Cooker Version
This hamburger and noodle recipe can also be heated together in a crock pot.
Pour cooked beef and noodle mixture in the crock and then sprinkle cheese on top.
Cover and cook on high for about an hour or about 2 hours on low.
About 15 minutes before serving stir cheese in and cover. Casserole can be stirred a couple times to help prevent burning along the edges.
Can This Ground Beef Casserole be Frozen?
Yes! Allow the casserole to cool after being baked and wrap tightly in plastic wrap and foil if freezing the entire dish. I prefer to put individual servings in zip lock bags or in freezer containers so a quick lunch can be taken to work and reheated. Sometimes I like to freeze family size portions in a larger freezer container.
More Easy Casserole Recipes:
- Everything Bagel and Sausage Casserole features sausage in a rich and creamy casserole that tastes great anytime of the day.
- Chicken Pot Pie Casserole with Red Lobster Biscuit Mix is super popular on Tik Tok and the perfect family meal.
- Crock Pot Loaded Cauliflower Casserole is a great recipe to bring along to holiday gatherings.
- Pork Chop and Stuffing Casserole and Crock Pot Chicken and Stuffing Casserole have meat, Swiss cheese, and stove top stuffing in a super creamy mixture that’s irresistible.
Printable Hamburger and Noodle Casserole Recipe
Classic Hamburger and Noodle Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 10.25 ounce cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup Colby cheese
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cook noodles according to directions on the package.
- Brown hamburger and season with salt and pepper while browning. Drain meat and return to the skillet.
- Add onions to meat and stir until tender.
- Stir cream of chicken soup into meat. Then stir noodles into this mixture.
- Pour into baking dish and sprinkle cheese on top. Cover and bake for about 25 minutes and stir. Cover and return to the oven an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Originally published on February 16, 2018 with updates made on October 10, 2022.
I had some leftover noodles, and they were perfect for this recipe. This was easy to make and quite tasty! I will definitely be making this again!
Great! Thanks so much for letting us know!
Excellent. Thank You for sharing. Will definitely make this again.