Buttery egg noodles stirred into a skillet of smoked Kielbasa sausage and cabbage make an easy meal that will become a family favorite.
Onions and garlic add so much flavor to this hearty dish of Kielbasa and Noodles With Cabbage.
Kielbasa and Noodles Recipe
The warm flavorful notes the Kielbasa adds to this dinner recipe are made hearty and craveable when buttered noodles are added. Kielbasa and Noodles are the primary ingredients, but cabbage and onions add flavor, substance and texture.
A splash of red wine vinegar and a little minced garlic add depth to this dish that make it a regular on your menu.
All of the ingredients are warm and thinly sliced to allow to provide contrast of every flavor in every bite. The veggies, meat and noodles make a well rounded and complete meal.
Another meal idea with a similar flavor that we enjoy is Pierogies and Kielbasa.
Fried Cabbage and Noodles with Kielbasa
Also called Haluski this basic meal with fried cabbage and noodles has a lot of delicious flavors!
Kielbasa Sausage is a regular on our dinner table whether it’s our Kielbasa and Sauerkraut or Smoked Sausage, Peppers, Onions and Potatoes. We recently shared our basic Kielbasa and Cabbage Recipe, but none of these meals hold a candle to this one that includes egg noodles.
We love recipes with veggies and fresh produce like this one that are still budget friendly and easy to cook.
What is Haluski?
Haluski is a popular food that typically includes soft noodles or dumplings from central and eastern European countries.
In the United States Haluski typically features fried cabbage and noodles like in this recipe. It may have pancetta or bacon. We like making this basic dish better with Kielbasa which is a Polish smoked sausage.
What Type of Noodles Work Best?
Thin, wide egg noodles that are shelf stable are the best type for this recipe to blend with the other ingredients in the recipe. We prefer Amish style egg noodles.
My kids like the Reames frozen egg noodles, but we find the thickness to overwhelm the meat and veggies in the dish.
Another option that requires a bit more time in the kitchen is these Homemade Noodles.
While pasta can be used the rich egg flavor will best compliment the Kielbasa sausage and cabbage.
Tips & Tricks
- Slice Kielbasa lengthwise and then cut into thin slices. The final shape will look like half circles.
- Thinly slicing all ingredients maximizes flavor in every bite!
- Browning the Kielbasa sausage adds flavor, not just color.
- If anything starts to burn add a bit more oil and turn down the heat a little bit.
- Recipe makes great leftovers and reheats well for quick lunch.
- Leftover buttered noodles work well in this recipe since there is time to reheat in the skillet.
- Stir in a portion of the noodles to start to ensure you get the balance of ingredients you prefer.
- I have tested doubling the meat and can’t believe I’m typing this, but it was almost too much meat for this dish. The true beauty comes with enjoying a variety of flavors in every bite!
- Kielbasa sausage
- Egg noodles
- Vegetable oil
- Red wine vinegar
How to Make Cabbage & Noodles with Kielbasa
Cook egg noodles by following the directions on the package. Rinse with water and then return to pan to stir in pats of butter. Set aside.
Heat 1 – 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Carefully add thin pieces of Kielbasa. Stir every 2 – 3 minutes until lightly browned. This will take about 5 – 7 minutes.
Set Kielbasa aside on a separate plate.
Add a couple more tablespoons of oil to the skillet and heat. Stir in onions and turn down to medium heat. Stir a couple times for about 3 minutes.
Once onions are tender add red wine vinegar, minced garlic and thinly sliced cabbage. Season with salt and pepper then stir together and place lid on the skillet.
Stir every 5 minutes until cabbage is tender. This will take about 10 – 14 minutes depending how full the skillet is and how thinly sliced the ingredients are.
Once the vegetables are tender stir buttered noodles and Kielbasa sausage into the skillet. Once everything is warmed through serve immediately.
I like to hold some noodles back and stir in a portion at first. Then add noodles as needed to get the ratio that we prefer.
More Delicious One-Skillet Meals:
Cowboy Breakfast Skillet is bacon, eggs, and potatoes or riced cauliflower topped with cheese to make a wonder breakfast or brunch.
Sausage & Potato Skillet warms potatoes o’brien with smoked sausage, broccoli and cheese for a filling whole 30 meal.
One Skillet Shepherd’s Pie uses a cast iron skillet to make a classic combo with sausage, mashed potatoes and vegetables.
Hot Dogs & Sauerkraut is another simple skillet meal that people of all ages enjoy.
Cabbage and Noodles with Kielbasa Sausage
- 1 pound Kielbasa sausage
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 head cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- 1 teaspoon Koshor salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- Cook egg noodles in salted water according to the directions on the package. Drain, rinse and return to pan and stir in slices of butter. Set aside.
- Cut Kielbasa in half lengthwise then thinly slice.
- Use a large, deep skillet over medium high heat to heat 1 1/2 tablespoons. Carefully add Kielbasa and stir occasionally until lightly browned. This will take about 5 minutes. Then set aside on a separate plate.
- Add remaining oil to the skillet and turn down to medium heat. Add onions and cook until slightly tender.
- Add minced garlic, cabbage and red wine vinegar. Season with salt and pepper then stir together and place lid on the skillet.
- Stir every 5 minutes until cabbage is tender. This will take about 10 – 14 minutes depending how full the skillet is and how thinly sliced the ingredients are.
- Once the vegetables are tender stir buttered noodles and Kielbasa sausage into the skillet. Once everything is warmed through serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.