Only 3 simple ingredients create a moist and super easy Pumpkin Carrot Cake with a cake mix. A box of carrot cake mix or spice cake mix can be used in this fall or harvest party dessert.
Pumpkin Carrot Cake Recipe
Pumpkin and carrot are complementary, earthy flavors that taste great in a cake. Warm, mild flavors from a can of pumpkin and cake mix stir together with eggs to create a simple and delicious cake with just three ingredients. If you count the icing this is a 4 ingredient cake.
The cake has the density of a pumpkin roll, which is a bit more dense than our popular chocolate cake from a box mix. And the cream cheese icing is spread on top of this 9×13″ cake instead of rolled up in the middle like a pumpkin roll.
A box mix of carrot cake OR spice cake may be used. I recommend using the cake mix that you find easily at the grocery store.
Boxed carrot cake mix has pieces of carrot in it where boxed spice cake mix has a more uniform look, flavor and texture. We have tested and enjoy both options, but we prefer the spice cake mix.
If you love this cake and the rich icing you’ll also enjoy our Carrot Cake Loaf made with fresh carrots and baked in loaf pans.
Why This Recipe Works
- Only 3 ingredients make a wonderful fall flavored cake in under 10 minutes.
- When using spice cake mix there is a nice mild spice cake flavor, it is not super strong or overwhelming at all.
- Pureed pumpkin tones the flavor down making it enjoyable for all cake lovers!
- This is a super simple way to use a box spice cake mix to make a carrot cake.
- Carrot cake mix OR Spice cake mix
- Can of puréed pumpkin
How to Make Carrot Cake With Cake Mix
Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13 pan.
Pour cake mix into a mixing bowl. Add two eggs.
Add a can of pumpkin puree or pumpkin pie filling. I like to use a mini spatula to clean out the can.
Combine all ingredients and mix well.
Pour into pan and bake for 20 – 25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
Allow to cool and frost as desired. Homemade cream cheese frosting from this Pumpkin Bars recipe tastes great as well as a jar of prepared icing.
Store covered in plastic wrap or in an airtight container in the refrigerator to increase shelf life.
Pumpkin Carrot Cupcakes
Carrot cake mix and canned pumpkin can be mixed with 2 to 4 eggs to make simple cupcakes.
Line muffin tins and fill 3/4 full. Bake at 350°F for 18 – 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Allow cupcakes to cool and then add frosting if desired.
We prefer to make a simple sheet cake because it saves so much time, but this recipe does offer multiple options.
This dessert is similar to a pumpkin roll in a cake form.
More Delicious Pumpkin and Carrot Recipes:
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins with Applesauce is one of my son’s favorite after school snacks. These muffins are SO GOOD!
Pumpkin Pie Cake also begins with a box mix to make a cross between a pie and a cake!
More Easy Cake Recipes:
Coconut Cake starts with a box mix and is great for holiday parties and special occassions.
Pumpkin Carrot Cake
- 1 box Carrot cake mix spice cake mix can be substituted
- 15 ounces Pureed pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- 1 can cream cheese frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9 x 13" pan.
- In a mixing bowl combine ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into pan and bake for 20 – 25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool and frost if desired.
- Store covered in plastic wrap or in an airtight container in the refrigerator to increase shelf life
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Originally posted September 1, 2021 with updates made on September 6, 2023.