Our family loves a hearty meal, especially when working hard on the farm. This Hearty Vegetable Pasta Bake recipe is full of flavor from the vegetables, sun-dried tomatoes and cheese. We make it on Fridays during Lent since it’s meat-free. It would be great with chicken other times of the year.
Meal Idea for Lent
This Hearty Vegetable Pasta Bake tastes and feels like a meal we would get at a nice Italian restaurant, but it’s easy enough to make at home and helps keep our budget on track.
We have young children who love pasta, so we’ve eaten a lot of Mac & Cheese with Ham and Baked Mostaccioli Casserole. We also enjoy trying some fancier pasta in a dish like this or our Tuscan Chicken & Spaghetti Casserole.
I also love that there are so many vegetables in the dish, but the kids never complained about them because they mixed in so nicely with the sauce and cheese. I made sure to dice the onions and peppers well so that they would blend in well.
My husband was surprised the recipe didn’t have meat. The sun-dried tomatoes really give the pasta bake a hearty flavor that is wonderful.
We are glad to have such a large dish because we pack extras for lunch and we freeze a few individual lunches or bigger portions for future family meals. Freezer meals save so much time and stress in our family, so that’s a double win!
Printable Vegetable Pasta Casserole Recipe
Hearty Vegetable Pasta Bake
- 1 pound cellentani pasta
- 2 T oil from sun dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes julienned
- 3/4 cup onion chopped
- 1 yellow chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 24 ounces mild pasta sauce
- 12 ounces sliced gouda cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Coat 9 x 13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Prepare pasta according to package instructions and leave in strainer with a pat of butter if desired.
- Heat oil in the pan the pasta was prepared in. Add tomatoes, onions, pepper and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat until the onions and peppers are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce to pan and stir until the sauce boils. Reduce to low heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add spinach and stir until it wilts. Add pasta and stir well.
- Layer half of pasta mixture in dish. Add half of sliced cheese on top of pasta. Place remaining pasta in the dish and cover with remaining slices of cheese.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until the cheese melts.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.