We love making the Best Instant Pot Pulled Pork for meal prep meals in our house! Adding bbq sauce for sliders, making loaded baked potatoes and nachos are all family favorite meals.
Pulled pork gives us so many dinner options at a great value!
Easy Instant Pot Meals
Using a pork shoulder to make pulled pork is one of my go-to family meals! We like to eat sandwiches the first time. Then we use extra pulled pork in BBQ Pulled Pork Crescents, BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders or Loaded Baked Potatoes. We freeze any extra meat right away in a freezer safe container.
Pulled pork makes some of the best party foods like Easy Pulled Pork Nachos, Pulled Pork Quesadillas, or Loaded Waffle Fries. With so many easy recipe options we always keep pulled pork in the freezer.
My favorite pulled pork sandwich has one slice of a good quality bread, a layer of pulled pork, a drizzle of our Farmhouse Barbecue Sauce and a slice of Havarti cheese!
What to Make in the Instant Pot
I think this pulled pork is the perfect first recipe to make in the Instant Pot. Using a pork shoulder to make pulled pork were the first few meals I made in my new Instant Pots. I have both a six quart Instant Pot and an eight quart Instant Pot and both work well to make a Pork shoulder roast into pulled pork! The smaller Instant Pots can pressurize a little more quickly and save a little time. The larger Instant Pot can hold a larger roast. The key to success is reading the directions and ensuring that you don’t fill past the maximum fill line.
On our first time making pulled pork I just used a pork shoulder, water, salt and pepper and the meal was fine. Adding more barbecue sauce made a great meal. When I began experimenting with other seasonings and liquids with more flavor we enjoyed the meat much more! Now we really love adding a little red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar to any meat that we make in the Instant Pot. Since vinegar is acidic it really interacts well with the protein to help tenderize the meat. Another of our favorite Instant Pot recipes is this Chinese Chicken Salad. Cooking the chicken in a dark colored vinegar took this meal to a whole new level as well!
How to Make Instant Pot Pulled Pork
We hope that these recipes ideas help make mealtime easier and enjoyable for your family!
Printable Electric Pressure Cooker/Instant Pot Pulled Pork Recipe
Best Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- 2/3 cup soda we like cherry Coke or Pepsi
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1 to 2 ounces BBQ seasoning or seasoned salt we like the 2 ounce McCormick applewood seasoning
- 4 to 7 pound pork shoulder or pork butt
- Pour liquids in Instant Pot. Rub seasoning on pork shoulder roast and add to Instant Pot.
- Seal Instant Pot lid in the locked position. If meat came straight out of the refrigerator pressure cook for 30 minutes per pound. If meat sat on the counter (following food safety guidelines) to decrease chill, pressure cook for 25 minutes per pound.
- Allow Instant Pot to natural release. Remove lid. Pork should shred easily with two forks. If it doesn't return the lid to lock position and pressure cook for another 20 minutes. Continue to do so until the roast is done and shreds easily.
- All cooking appliances and conditions are different, so you should test these times and guidelines first in your own appliance to determine what adjustments may be needed!