Soft and delicious with an enjoyable cinnamon nutmeg spice our Applesauce Bars are an easy snack or breakfast.
Applesauce Bars Recipe
Applesauce might be my kids favorite snack! We always have applesauce in the house and I love that it adds a natural sweetness and moist texture to baked treats for kids.
This simple and moist applesauce bar recipe is an egg free cross between a dessert bar, cookie and quick bread with cinnamon and nutmeg flavors that offer just the right level of spice! Everyone who eats these LOVES them!
If you enjoy these bars, but want an applesauce recipe with icing check out our Cinnamon Applesauce Muffins for another special treat!
We love how moist applesauce makes baked goods from our to Pumpkin & Applesauce Muffins.
Originally from the school lunch menu, my mother-in-law works in the kitchen at their school and shared this recipe with me.
Another old fashioned recipe that our family enjoys snacking on is our Peanut Butter Bread.
- Granulated sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Applesauce – we prefer unsweetened applesauce
Applesauce Bars without Icing
We have plenty of sweet treats with an excellent layer of icing like our Pumpkin Bars and Frosted Banana Bars. If you want a frosted bar you could easily grab the easy icing recipe from either of these bars and spread it on these applesauce bars. When we are looking for a bar that isn’t quite so sweet this is our go to recipe!
Having an easy recipe that most kids like to take for school treats or soccer snacks is helpful to me as a mom. Another benefit of this recipe is that the applesauce keeps the bars so moist.
How to Make Easy Applesauce Bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Beat butter and softened sugar together.
- Add remaining dry ingredients and mix well.
- Stir in applesauce.
- Spread in baking pan and bake for 18 – 25 minutes or until a toothpick placed in the center comes out clean.
Step By Step Instructions
In a medium or large microwave safe mixing bowl melt butter and beat in sugar.
Add applesauce and vanilla and stir well.
In a separate mixing bowl stir together dry ingredients.
Pour one third of the dry ingredients into the applesauce mixture at a time. Stir until mixed.
Pour into a greased 9×13″ baking dish and smooth out with a silicone spatula.
Bake in a preheated oven for 20 – 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Do Applesauce Bars Need Refrigerated?
Store moist applesauce bars on the counter if they will be eaten in 1 to 2 days. If the pan will last longer wrap tightly and store in the refrigerator to lengthen shelf life and help decrease food safety concerns.
These bars can also be wrapped tightly and frozen in individual bags or in a larger freezer container.
Other Easy Apple Recipes:
- Caramel Apple Bars
- Crescent Roll Apple Pie
- Easy Apple Dapple Cake
- Easy Cinnamon Fruit Dip
- Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin with Cranberry Apple Sauce
- Instant Pot Pork Chops with Sauerkraut
- Easy Caramel Apple Pork Chops
We hope your family enjoys these applesauce bars as much as we do!
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups applesauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat sugar and butter together.3/4 cup butter, 3/4 cup sugar
- Add vanilla and applesauce and stir well.1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, 2 cups applesauce
- Mix remaining dry ingredients in a separate bowl and stir in 1/3 of them at a time.2 1/2 cups flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda, 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
- Add applesauce and spread in a greased 9×13 inch baking pan for 20 – 25 minutes or until a toothpick placed in the center comes out clean.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Originally shared on September 2, 2018 with updates made on March 27, 2020 and February 14, 2024.