Do you ever crave a deliciously moist cake that is unique, but has simple ingredients? This Cinnamon Applesauce Cake is the perfect easy cake recipe!
Easy Homemade Cake Idea
We enjoy cooking with basic ingredients because it makes our life easier. This recipe only calls for one ingredient that we don’t commonly use and that is Hershey’s Cinnamon Chips. But they have a good shelf life, so I like to keep a bag on hand. Cinnamon Applesauce Cake is especially enjoyable in the fall when we seem to crave apple flavors, but it is delicious all year around too!
Several years ago I was looking for an easy homemade cake idea when I came across this recipe on a bag of Hershey’s Cinnamon Chips. I love the recipe, but it’s not printed on bags anymore and it can be tricky to find.
In 2018 we could find Cinnamon chips at about any Wal-mart and some other specialty stores, but since 2019 the chips have been hard to come by so we order them online.
The applesauce keeps this cake very moist and the cinnamon chips add a richness that is very enjoyable! I love that this cake is topped with a simple icing made of powdered sugar mixed with warm water.
I use my 9×13 Pyrex glass dish with a lid all of the time for these easy dessert recipes! Having a lid that fits well is much easier than handling plastic wrap or foil to keep the cake moist!
How to Make Cinnamon Applesauce Cake
- Beat butter and sugar
- Add eggs and vanilla
- Mix in applesauce
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt
- Gradually add to the butter mixture
- Add cinnamon chips – they can be tough to find, so I have to order them online now
- Pour into prepared 9×13 baking pan and bake 25 to 35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center of the cake comes out clean
- Stir together powdered sugar and enough warm water; drizzle over a slightly warm cake and enjoy
Cinnamon Applesauce Cake Recipe Tips
- I mix all of the ingredients very well EXCEPT for the baking chips. If the baking chips are added to the mixer too soon they could be broken up by the beater.
- Let the cake cool a bit before drizzling with icing.
- This cake is just as good warm as it is a day or two later!
- If storing the cake past two days I recommend storing in the refrigerator
Here are a couple of other easy cakes in a 9×13 pan that we enjoy, Gooey Butter Cake, Pumpkin Pie Cake, and Pina Colada Cake. Here’s another fall favorite Farmhouse Apple Flip. We hope you enjoy these recipes as much as we do!
Printable Recipe for Cinnamon Applesauce Cake
Cinnamon Applesauce Cake
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 2/3 cups Hershey's Cinnamon Chips 10 oz. package
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons warm water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 9x13 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Beat butter and sugar until well blended. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Mix in applesauce.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add to the butter mixture until well blended. Add cinnamon chips.
- Spread into prepared 9x13 baking pan. Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool.
- Stir together powdered sugar and enough warm water to make icing of your preferred consistency. Drizzle over a slightly warm cake and enjoy!