Coins of turkey sausage stirred into eggs, milk, cheese and a few bread cubes makes a hearty and delicious Turkey Sausage Breakfast Casserole recipe.
Breakfast Casserole with Turkey Sausage
Our family loves sausage and eggs for breakfast. I love how quickly and easily this casserole combines all of our favorite ingredients to make a simple meal!
Turkey sausage has more seasoning which really goes well with the eggs and cheese. It’s a slightly different flavor that adds a healthy twist on breakfast or brunch.
The turkey sausage that we find most commonly in stores is typically pre-cooked which makes it so easy to use. And as I’ve shared before my husband grew up on a turkey farm, so we love supporting our family members and other local farmers.
Serve with a Fruit Tray or Blueberry Avocado Smoothie for a complete breakfast that is packed with protein and many other nutrients. For an especially decadent breakfast or on Christmas morning serving with these Old-Fashioned Cinnamon Rolls.
What’s the Difference in Turkey and Pork Sausage?
Turkey meat is a white meat that is typically leaner and lower in fat than pork which is a red meat. Remember “Pork, the Other White Meat?” That was just a marketing slogan.
Fat equals flavor and since pork sausage has more fat it naturally has more flavor before adding spices. Turkey is leaner and thus a healthier, lower calorie option. Flavor is often added to turkey sausage by using a little bit more or slightly stronger spices and herbs.
Tips & Tricks
- 8 to 10 eggs can be used for a thicker casserole; if eggs are added cooking time will increase
- Milk can be substituted for half milk and half cream or half and half for a richer casserole
- Bread can be lightly dried by exposing to air overnight OR lightly toasting before cutting into cubes. Just be sure not to use soft bread or it will become soggy
- Amount of cheese can be doubled for a cheesier casserole
- One pound of bulk ground sausage may be used as well; ensure any sausage used is cooked and warm before adding to the casserole
- Garnish with chopped green onion for more flavor and color
Turkey Sausage Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat pre-cooked turkey sausage or fully cook raw sausage. Slice pre-cooked turkey sausage links into small coins.
- Slightly scramble eggs and stir in milk and salt.
4. Stir in shredded cheese and slightly dried bread cubes.
5. Add turkey sausage and pour into baking pan. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the center of the casserole is set and begins to lightly brown.
Serving and Storage
We enjoy a portion of this casserole warm and then reheat the leftovers. Store pieces that will be used within 3 days in the refrigerator. Reheat in the microwave wrapped in a damp paper towel.
Cut remaing casserole into individual serving sized pieces and wrap in a paper towel. Keep in a self sealing bag in the freezer for up to three months.
Leftovers taste great as a piece of casserole or can be reheated and served on bread to make a breakfast sandwich.
More Great Breakfast Casserole Recipes
- Spinach Bacon Quiche is a low-carb casserole that’s filled with a variety of cheeses and lots of spinach.
- Cowboy Breakfast Skillet can be made with potatoes or cauliflower rice. Our family makes this one-skillet meal repeatedly it’s so good!
- Bacon Breakfast Casserole is as good as it sounds and super bacony!
- Everything Bagel and Sausage Casserole brings a unique blend of flavors to a rich and delicious casserole that people love!
Turkey Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt optional
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 slices bread toasted & cut into cubes
- 18 ounces turkey sausage links warmed and sliced into coins
- Spray a 9 x 13 pan with non-stick cooking spray and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Scramble eggs in a large mixing bowl; then stir in milk and salt if using.
- Add bread cubes and cheese to mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Stir in warmed and sliced turkey sausage. Pour into baking dish and bake for 30 – 40 minutes until center is set and casserole is lightly brown. Serve warm and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.