Are you craving a classic, wholesome meal? Old-Fashioned Sausage, Potatoes and Green Beans in Instant Pot is a great way to enjoy a traditional dish in a new electric pressure cooker. The flavors blend together to make a timeless meal all ages can enjoy!
Easy Old-Fashioned Sausage, Potatoes and Green Beans in the Instant Pot
This recipe is one of those classic family meals that we all enjoy! Pressure cooker sausage and potatoes is a perfect dish to enjoy all year around. We keep potatoes, sausage and frozen beans on hand so we can make this easy meal pretty much anytime. New potatoes and green beans would also work well in this electric pressure cooker meal!
We’ve made several versions of this in the crock pot, instant pot and also with sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are a great treat in the fall, so here is our favorite fall version of this recipe: Easy Instant Pot Sausage, Potato, and Green Beans. We love using our 6 quart Instant Pot to make both of these classic dishes easier!
We are farmers and we raise pigs, so we love sausage. There are so many different varieties of sausage and our family seems to enjoy a basic smoked sausage the best. If you like Kielbasa or sausage with different seasonings feel free to use those. We love using pre-cooked sausage. Read the package to ensure that your sausage has been pre-cooked.
My ten-year-old son and I were discussing goals for the New Year. He said he wants to grow a garden. We will definitely have green beans in our garden that will be perfect to use in this meal. I love being a part of growing food and sharing our connection to food and farming with our kids.
I know that whether we use sausage and produce from our garden or buy it at the grocery we are supporting farm families like our own. In college, I met a girl whose family raises a lot of the green beans sold at Kroger.
Flavorful Sausage, Green Beans & Potatoes in a Pressure Cooker
We’ve made this dish several times and we finally found the perfect flavor combination! Sauteing onions and garlic together in the Instant Pot makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE. The chicken broth also adds some heartiness to the flavor profile.
Browning the sausage before cooking the produce isn’t required, but remember brown isn’t a color, it’s a flavor! My friend Chef Alli continually shares this tip with me! If you’re short on time feel free to skip this step.
Be sure to saute the onions and garlic until they soften and get a golden cast to them. Add the remaining ingredients and pressure cook for two minutes.
How to Cook Sausage in an Instant Pot
Be sure and read the package to confirm, but smoked sausage is typically pre-cooked and only needs to be heated or browned to add a little extra flavor.
If ground sausage is uncooked it will need to be cooked on the saute setting until there is no pink remaining in the meat.
Check out our Instant Pot Sausage, Peppers and Onions for more information on cooking Italian Sausage in the Instant Pot.
How to Make Sausage, Green Beans and Potatoes in the Instant Pot
- Set Instant Pot to saute setting and add oil
- Saute sausage until lightly browned
- Remove sausage and set on plate
- Saute the onions and garlic until they soften and get a golden cast
- Add chicken broth, cut potatoes, green beans and browned sausage to Instant Pot and bring to boil
- Pressure cook for two minutes then do a quick release
Tips for Making Instant Pot Green Beans, Potatoes & Sausage
- Brown sausage if time allows because brown is a flavor, not just a color
- Warm sausage and set aside, do not pressure cook sausage that has been pre-cooked
- Cut sausage however you prefer, I like bigger chunks as they are easier to brown than smaller pieces
- Onions, garlic and chicken broth are not required, but they are the ingredients that give this basic dish much more flavor than omitting or substituting with water
- If using fresh green beans increase high-pressure cook time to 3 minutes
Other Delicious Recipes with Sausage
- Easy Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes, Sausage and Green Beans
- Everything Bagel and Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- Fiesta Sausage Dip
- Easy Egg & Sausage Casserole
- Best Taco Meatloaf
- Best Pizza Meatloaf
- Sausage Bubble Up Casserole
- Smoked Sausage & Cheesy Potato Casserole
- Instant Pot Sauerkraut, Sausage & Potatoes
Printable Old-Fashioned Sausage, Potatoes and Green Beans in Instant Pot Recipe
Old-Fashioned Sausage, Potatoes and Green Beans in Instant Pot
- 1 pound smoked sausage cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 – 4 medium potatoes cut into bite sized pieces
- 12 ounces frozen green beans I like Italian style
- Turn 6 quart Instant Pot on saute setting. Add oil. While pot is warming, cut sausage into chunks
- Saute sausage until lightly browned. Remove and set on plate
- Saute the onions and garlic until they soften and get a golden cast to them.
- Keep on Saute setting, add chicken broth, cut potatoes, green beans and browned sausage to Instant Pot. Bring to boil. Seal and pressure cook for two minutes. When the timer sounds perform a quick release to remove all pressure.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.