Our Cucumber Salad with Mayo and Sour Cream takes cool, crisp cucumbers and mixes them in a light and refreshing homemade dressing.
Creamy Cucumber Salad with Sour Cream Recipe
Thin slices of fresh, firm cucumbers pair wonderfully with a creamy sour cream and mayonnaise based dressing recipe. Simple spices like garlic, salt, sugar, white wine vinegar and dill weed make a full flavor in every bite of this.
Creamy cucumber salad with mayo and sour cream, also known as Creamed Cucumbers was the most popular cold side dish salad recipe at our family reunion this summer!
This creamy dressing is in the ranch dressing family, but with a more mild flavor. The salad has a cool refreshing cucumber taste, like cucumber water in a more creamy solid form.
If you have lots of cucumbers this cucumber salad with sour cream is a great solution to help use them up. A lot of people like to make pickles in their garden, but if a few of them get away this is an easy solution for using several cucumbers.
Just like our Carrot Salad and Almond Chicken Salad, serve chilled and keep chilled for best results.
Firm cucumbers will last for 2 – 3 days in the refrigerator. Excess liquid and dressing may need to be drained each day. There is a high water content in cucumbers that will leak out after being cut.
- Cucumbers – fresh young cucumbers work best
- Sour cream – the main ingredient providing the creaminess
- Mayonnaise – adds a little extra tang and richness to the fresh flavors
- Garlic – we like to use a refrigerated jar of minced garlic
- Salt – season to taste
- Sugar – creates a little balance and sweetness
- Dill weed – gives an earthy flavor and creates great eye appeal
- White wine vinegar – adds an acidity and brightness to the salad in a light and simple way
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Young cucumbers that are smaller a round are best for this salad as bigger cucumbers have more water which makes the dressing a bit soupy; large, older cucumbers also have bigger seeds to contend with
- Thin slices of red onions are a popular addition to this recipe
- Cucumbers have a high water content and the water will leak out into the dressing over time, so cucumbers can be sliced and allowed to drain in a bowl in the refrigerator for about an hour or they can be used immediately knowing there will be a little extra liquid
- Begin with chilled slices of cucumbers to be able to serve the salad more quickly
- A mandoline slicer makes uniform slices of cucumber
- Mayo can be substituted for salad oil in many cucumber salad recipes
- Sour cream provides most of the creaminess in this creamed cucumber recipe, but other dairy products like heavy cream and Greek yogurt can be substituted
How to Make Cucumber Salad with Sour Cream & Mayo
Wash cucumbers and dry. Use a mandoline to make thin, uniform slices very quickly. Be sure to use the guard and keep your fingers and any skin away from the blade!
Slice the cucumbers right into a large mixing bowl with plenty of room to stir in the dressing. I like to use chilled cucumbers so that salad is ready to eat quickly after being mixed up.
In a small mixing bowl measure out the dressing ingredients. Dill weed can be stirred into the dressing or it can be sprinkled on top.
The dill weed mixes better and gets a more even coating when stirred into the dressing.
Stir all of the dressing ingredients very well.
Pour over sliced cucumbers and stir gently. Chill for at least an hour. Just before serving toss lightly.
Sprinkle with additional dill weed if desired.
More Great Salad Recipes:
Linguine Salad is rich with Italian dressing, salad seasoning, parmesan cheese and chopped vegetables to make a great pasta salad.
Overnight Salad has layers of lettuce, cauliflower, tomatoes, sweet onion, peas, cheddar cheese and bacon bits. A mayonnaise and parmesan cheese dressing top off this classic salad.
Broccoli Cauliflower Salad uses cheddar cheese and bacon to add so much flavor to these basic veggies.
Chicken and Wild Rice Salad blends chicken and rice with fruits, veggies and a light dressing to make a delicious side dish or light lunch.
Cucumber Salad with Mayo and Sour Cream
- 4 medium cucumbers
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- Slice cucumbers thinly into a large bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl stir together remaining ingredients. Pour over cucumbers and toss lightly.
- Sprinkle with additional dill weed if desired.
- Chill. Just before serving toss lightly.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Originally shared on June 8, 2021 with updates made on May 31, 2023.
Very tasty. Thanks for sharing.
Very good. Just made this earlier as a side dish for dinner. Tasted it and loved it.
This is super easy and delicious! Great way to use surplus cucumbers from the garden. Thanks for posting the recipe.
Fresh or dried garlic and dill?
Jennifer @ Plowing Through Life
Hey There! Great question – we typically use fresh garlic. Hope you enjoy 🙂