Homemade chocolate cupcakes filled with cream cheese and chocolate chips make rich and delicious Black and White Cupcakes or Black Bottom Cupcakes.
Black and White Cupcakes
We love cupcakes from our Rich & Moist Chocolate Cake recipe and delicious desserts filled with cream cheese like our Cinnamon Cream Cheese Bars and Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars. These Black and White Cupcakes are a fun and unique combination of our favorite chocolate and cream cheese desserts!
Cupcake liners are filled 1/3 full with an easy homemade chocolate cupcake batter. Then a rich cream cheese mixture with chocolate chips stirred in is dropped by tablespoon full on top of each cupcake.
As the cupcakes bake the cream cheese and chocolate chip mixture sink a little bit towards the bottom and a little bit and the cupcake rises up around the mixture. The combination of chocolatey, sweet and rich is absolutely irresistible!
We’ve got Marble Chocolate and Cream Cheese Bars, but these Black Bottom Cupcakes are better because they look so pretty and the individual portions are perfect!
Tips for Making Chocolate Cream Cheese Cupcakes
We made this recipe three times in a week because all of us love it so much! The best version results when we follow the recipe exactly! I got this from a vintage community cookbook. Baking recipes are exact, so following details like only filling the liners 1/3 full and dropping cream cheese in the center (instead of making a layer on top) are critical to success!
Take extra care not to overbake, remove from oven when the edge of the cream cheese starts to turn light brown. At this point, a toothpick inserted into the chocolate cupcake could come out almost clean.
Batter filled cups can be sprinkled with coarse sugar and chopped nuts if desired.
Everyone in our family agrees that these cupcakes taste best chilled. We think of how special it is to enjoy a piece of warm Chocolate Gooey Butter Cake or a warm Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie. Surprisingly these cream cheese filled chocolate chip cupcakes tastes best right out of the refrigerator.
Since this dessert tastes best chilled it’s perfect to make ahead of a party, potluck or family meal so it’s ready to serve whenever you’re ready to enjoy!
How to Make Black Bottom Cupcakes
Two mixing bowls come in really handy for this recipe.
In one mixing bowl beat cream cheese. Add egg, 1/3 cup of sugar and 1/8 teaspoon of salt and beat well.
Stir in 1 cup or 6 ounces of chocolate chips by hand. Some chips can be reserved to sprinkle on top or extra chips can be sprinkled on.
In another mixing bowl stir or sift together remaining dry ingredients – flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
Add water, oil, vinegar and vanilla and mix well.
Use a tablespoon or cookie scoop to fill paper lined muffin cups 1/3 full. Half full is too full and will take too long to bake, so work really hard to fill cups one third full with the chocolate batter.
Once all of the chocolate batter has been distributed add a tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture in the center of the chocolate batter. Take care not to add a solid layer of cream cheese across the top (my son did this when he made them on his own and they just didn’t bake or taste the absolute best).
Dropping a dollop of cream cheese in the center creates a rich white center while a soft chocolatey cupcake makes a nice layer on the bottom and bakes up around each side.
Other Easy Desserts:
- O’ Joy Brownie Bars have a rich coconut and sweetened condensed filling in between the brownie layers.
- Classic Chocolate Delight has layers of chocolate pudding, cream cheese and whipped topping on a flour crust.
- Triple Chocolate Fudge Cake starts with a box mix but has rich layers and a chocolate mousse icing that is so easy to make at home.
- Blackberry Jam Cake uses simple ingredients and blackberry jam to make an easy and beautiful bundt cake that’s perfect for the holidays.
Black Bottom Cupcakes
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips may want extra to sprinkle on top
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a mixing bowl combine cream cheese, egg, 1/3 cup sugar and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Beat well. Stir in chocolate chips and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl stir together flour, 1 cup sugar, cocoa, 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Add water, oil, vinegar and vanilla to the dry mixture. Beat until well combined.
- Fill paper lined muffin cups 1/3 full of chocolate batter. Add a heaping teaspoon of cream cheese mixture in the center the chocolate batter in each cup.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 – 25 minutes. Take extra care not to overbake. Makes two dozen.
- Sprinkle batter filled cups with coarse sugar and chopped nuts if desired.
- Take extra care not to overbake, remove from oven when the edge of the cream cheese starts to turn light brown. At this point, a toothpick inserted into the chocolate cupcake could come out clean.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.