Fresh white mushrooms stuffed with Italian sausage, parmesan cheese, and mozzarella cheese create an excellent flavor combination in every bite! This Crock Pot Stuffed Mushrooms recipe makes great appetizers and party food.
Servings 8 people
- 1 pound Italian Sausage
- 1 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 24 ounces white mushrooms
Clean mushrooms and remove stems.
Brown and drain sausage. Crumble into small pieces.
Mix sausage with mozzarella 3/4 cup of parmesan cheese.
Use a spoon and your finger to fill each mushroom with stuffing. Press stuffing to pack each mushroom full.
Place mushrooms in a single layer in a greased crock. If necessary place a second layer of mushrooms starting a ring around the outside and working toward the middle.
Cook on high for about an hour until mushrooms are warmed through. Turn down to keep warm and allow flavors to blend for another 30 to 60 minutes before serving.
Sprinkle 1/4 cup of additional parmesan cheese on top for extra flavor.
- Use a clean dish towel to clean mushrooms, avoid washing them to prevent adding unnecessary moisture being trapped in the slow cooker.
- Mushroom stems are very easy to remove by hand, simply wiggle and pull to remove. A knife or spoon will only be needed if the stem is very short.
- We prefer the flavor of white mushrooms for stuffing compared to baby bella mushrooms.
- Choose a flavor of sausage that you enjoy. My favorite filling is Italian Sausage. If you like heat use Zesty Sausage, for a very mild mushroom use a Regular Sausage, or mix a couple of flavors to get the flavor combination you like in a pound of sausage.
- When using a crock pot liner check the mushrooms after an hour. If the mushrooms are warmed through turn to keep warm to avoid having the liner push the mushrooms around and empty the stuffing out. I've found that NOT using a liner is easiest
- Check mushrooms after one hour. If mushrooms cook unattended they will become very soft and sit in a pool of liquid. Turning the slow cooker down to keep warm before this happens will create the BEST results.
- Mushroom stems may be chopped and mixed into the stuffing mixture or they may be used in a casserole or another recipe
Calories: 2181kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 125g | Fat: 176g | Saturated Fat: 71g | Cholesterol: 440mg | Sodium: 4902mg | Potassium: 3423mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 964IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 1273mg | Iron: 10mg