Upside-Down Pizza Casserole
We need easy family meals, so this Upside-Down Pizza Casserole is a real winner in our family! This casserole is EASY to make in 30 minutes and can be customized to include ingredients that make everyone happy. The flavors in the hamburger, fresh vegetables and pizza sauce really stand out with the crescent roll dough offering a nice accent.
Servings 6 people
- 1 pound hamburger or sausage
- 1 can / jar pizza sauce
- 1 green pepper diced
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms chopped
- 1/4 cup onions chopped
- 3/4 cup pepperoni
- 1 package crescent roll dough
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 350°F
Brown hamburger or sausage. Drain fat.
Add onions, pepper and mushrooms to hamburger. Stir until heated through.
Add pizza sauce until mixture is the desired consistency. Pour into the bottom of a greased, 9 x 13" baking dish.
Spoon sour cream evenly over mixture and then using a gentle swirling motion mix it into the casserole.
Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly over top. Add a layer of pepperonis.
Unroll crescent roll dough and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Bake for 20 - 30 minutes until casserole is bubbly and dough it baked.
- I like to use a sheet of crescent dough as it is easier to handle and fits perfectly into a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish
- Adjust amount of pizza sauce used based on the amount of vegetables included - sauce should prevent casserole from drying out, but should not be too soupy
- Ground beef or sausage works well, use what you have on hand
- Fresh or canned mushrooms work well
- Fresh or frozen green pepper and onions work well - if using frozen, just allow more time for them to heat up in the skillet
- If the crescent dough looks too brown, but isn't cooking underneath then cover with foil to finish baking
- One pound of meat is plenty for our family at this point, but the meat, sauce and vegetables could easily be doubled to make the casserole thicker and bigger
- I've seen multiple variations of this recipe in multiple cookbooks, so feel free to customize it to best suit your preferences
Calories: 582kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 45g | Saturated Fat: 20g | Cholesterol: 114mg | Sodium: 868mg | Potassium: 440mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 538IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 248mg | Iron: 3mg