Box Mix Turtle Cake
Are you looking for an easy spin on a chocolate cake with caramel? This Box Mix Turtle Cake is chocolate cake with a rich layer of caramel and pecans in the middle. If you love variations of chocolate cake you'll enjoy this recipe!
Servings 16 pieces of cake
9x13 Baking Dish
- 1 box German chocolate cake mix
- 1 bag Kraft caramels
- 1 stick butter
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup pecans
Preheat oven to 350°F and spray non-stick cooking spray on a 13 x 9 inch cake pan.
Mix cake according to directions.
Pour half of batter into greased pan and bake for 15 minutes.
While baking melt caramels, butter and evaporated milk in a medium saucepan stirring constantly.
Pour melted caramel mixture over baked portion of cake.
Sprinkle chocolate chips and pecans over cake.
Pour remaining cake batter evenly over pan and bake about 20 more minutes until cake is set.
- Unwrap caramels before beginning the recipe - I always underestimate how long this step will take
- Stir caramels continuous while melting to avoid burning in the pan
- When cake is done baking cover with plastic wrap to hold in moisture
- Sprinkle extra pecans on top if desired
Calories: 398kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 19mg | Sodium: 319mg | Potassium: 281mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 29g | Vitamin A: 207IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 3mg