Loaded Smashed Potato Casserole
Do you crave smashed potatoes with all the fixings, but need a quicker way to make them? We’re obsessed with this Loaded Smashed Potato Casserole! The bacon, cheese, sour cream, garlic and green onions make this potato casserole irresistible!
Servings 12 people
9x13 Baking Dish
- 3 pounds red potatoes cubed with skin on
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated or shredded is fine
- 1 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese I prefer sharp cheddar
- 1 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 5 ounces bacon pieces
- 3 green onions chopped
Wash potatoes and cut into 1 to 2-inch cubes. Do NOT peel. Boil until soft, but not mushy.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Stir in minced garlic into sour cream.
Place cooked potatoes in a bowl and add cheeses to the sour cream mixture. Use an electric mixer for a couple seconds to quickly mash potatoes or mix firmly by hand.
Mix in half of the bacon.
There should still be chunks of potatoes. If necessary stir by hand before placing in a greased 9 x 13 pan.
Sprinkle remaining half of bacon on top of casserole.
Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until the cheese is melted.
Sprinkle chopped green onion on top and enjoy!
- Mix minced garlic into the sour cream to maximize flavor and spread evenly throughout the casserole, but know that a little goes a long way.
- Feel free to omit garlic.
- Quickly smash potatoes with an electric mixer or by hand to get the best blend of flavors.
- I used bacon bits to save time, but chopped bacon would also be excellent.
- Adjust your ratio of yummy toppings to potatoes based on your preferences. We love a high ratio of bacon and dairy products in this casserole!
- Bake time is only 15 minutes as long as the potatoes are warm. If using potatoes that are cold or room temperature bake time will be longer.
- We love our basic Pyrex baking dish with a lid. We always hope there will be leftovers and the lid makes life so much easier!
Calories: 336kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 61mg | Sodium: 401mg | Potassium: 634mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 589IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 306mg | Iron: 1mg