Classic Sauerkraut Salad
Sweet and tangy sauerkraut mixed with chopped vegetables and coated with a salad dressing makes a cold side dish or easy topping for brats and sausages.
Servings 12 servings
Liquid Measuring Cup
- 32 ounces Sauerkraut
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup vinegar
Rince and drain sauerkraut and squeeze out excess moisture.
In a large bowl combine sauerkraut, celery, onion and green pepper.
In a small bowl whisk together sugar, oil and vinegar; mix well. Add to sauerkraut mixture.
Cover and marinate in the refrigerator at least 4 hours or overnight before serving.
- Use a strainer to rinse sauerkraut and then use hands to squeeze excess moisture off of sauerkraut. This allows the salad dressing flavors to better soak in.
- Green bell pepper can be substituted for red, orange or yellow bell pepper which will also make the salad more colorful and a bit sweeter.
- Your favorite flavor of onion may be used in this salad.
- Feel free to add in carrots, apples, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers or the veggie of your choice.
Calories: 138kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 507mg | Potassium: 171mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 74IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 1mg