Blackberry Jam Cake
An easy blackberry jam cake is made more beautiful when baked in a bundt pan. Simple ingredients mix together to create a family holiday tradition that is wonderful when served with whipped cream and fresh blackberries.
Servings 10 people
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups blackberry jam
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
Mix eggs and butter, add sugar.
In a seperate bowl mix together flour, baking soda, allspice, nutmeg and cinnamon. Slowly mix into butter and sugar mixture.
Add blackberry jam and buttermilk. Pour into greased bundt pan or tube pan.
Bake for 45 - 55 minutes in a 350°F oven. Invert on a plate to cool.
- This cake can be made in a bundt pan, 9 x 13 baking pan (decrease baking time) or 3 to 4 round cake pans to make layers - if making a layer cake can spread additional blackberry jelly between the layers
- A basic powdered sugar and milk icing tastes great with this cake, but a batch of cream cheese icing like we use on these Frosted Banana Bars or even a can of store-bought icing tastes great too
- I decrease spices by half from the original recipe because I wanted to enjoy more of the sweet blackberry and cake flavors relative to the spices. I like the hints of spices at this level, but feel free to double the spices if you really enjoy old fashioned spice cakes.
- 2 cups of blackberry jam is roughly equal to an 18 ounce jar of jam
- Cake in picture is iced with 3/4 cup of powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons or milk mixed together
Calories: 487kcal | Carbohydrates: 69g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 131mg | Sodium: 413mg | Potassium: 76mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 40g | Vitamin A: 686IU | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 2mg