Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cake
Fresh, shredded zucchini is easy to mix right into a homemade chocolate cake. Chocolate chips are sprinkled on top to make this double chocolate zucchini cake irresistible!
Servings 15 pieces
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups zucchini shredded
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Cream butter, oil and sugar. Agg eggs, vanilla and buttermilk. Mix well.
Stir in zucchini and then add dry ingredients.
Pour into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top and bake at 325°F for 40 - 45 minutes.
- Use a coarse grater to grate zucchini, a medium or fine grater will not work well
- We prefer using smaller, tender zucchini, but larger zucchini work fine in this recipe, just make sure they are not too watery and the seeds aren't too large to enjoy in a bite
- Omit the cloves if you are not a big fan of spices
- Half a cup of buttermilk can be made by adding half a tablespoon of white vinegar to a liquid measuring cup and then fill to the half cup mark with milk; stir and allow the milk to sit for 5 minutes.
Calories: 342kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 39mg | Sodium: 188mg | Potassium: 166mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 26g | Vitamin A: 267IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 2mg