Mac and Cheese with Ham
Cheesy macaroni and savory ham are combined to make this super easy and amazing no-boil mac and cheese with ham recipe.Only recently have I given the no-boil baked macaroni and cheese a try and it’s so easy I’m not sure if I’ll ever go back. Add some diced up leftover ham for a family meal that is so easy and delicious.
Servings 8 people
- 2 cups elbow macaroni uncooked
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper optional
- 1 1/2 cups ham diced
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/4 cups shredded colby jack cheese reserve to sprinkle on top
Preheat oven to 350°F and apply non-stick spray to a 9 x 13" baking dish.
Measure milk and stir in salt, pepper and dry mustard. Pour into baking dish.
Sprinkle pasta, cheddar cheese and diced ham evenly over the top of the milk and stir lightly if desired.
Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
Uncover and sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Bake for an additional 5 - 10 minutes until cheese is melted and casserole is fairly firm.
Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Be careful about adjusting the amount of milk or pasta in this recipe as having the right ratio is critical to the success of the dish
- Bake covered to help hold in moisture
- Diced ham can be mixed in with uncooked macaroni or sprinkled on top with the last layer of cheese towards the end of baking
- Can be baked in a 9 x 9″ baking dish which takes 50 minutes where a 9 x 13″ dish takes 40-45 minutes before uncovering to add final layer of cheese.
- Up to 8 ounces of thinly sliced Velveeta cheese can be added to make creamier mac and cheese
- When making plain mac & cheese I like to substitute dry mustard for Worcestershire sauce, but I like how the mustard compliments the ham flavor
- About any combination of shredded cheese that you enjoy can be substituted in this recipe
Calories: 427kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 69mg | Sodium: 906mg | Potassium: 341mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 590IU | Calcium: 424mg | Iron: 1mg