Hearty Beef Stew
This rich tomato-based Hearty Beef Stew is a favorite on our farmhouse table. Packed with potatoes and vegetables this is a classic and delicious one-dish meal!
Servings 8 people
- 10 3/4 ounces tomato soup undiluted
- 1 cup water red wine can be substituted
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 pounds stew meat
- 1 1/2 cups carrots cut in 1-inch diagonal slices
- 6 onions white or yellow boiling onions, quartered
- 3 cups potatoes cut in bite sized cubes
- 1/2 cup celery cut in 1-inch chunks
- 16 ounces whole white mushrooms
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Mix together tomato soup, water or wine and flour until smooth. Pour into greased roasting pan.
Add remaining ingredients to roasting dish. Stir and cover.
Bake at 275°F for 4-5 hours.
Season to taste and serve.
- Whether using precut stew meat or cutting up a chuck roast ensure pieces of beef are similarly sized and about bite-sized.
- Use a spoon to remove a piece of beef and allow to cool before sampling. Sample to determine if more seasonings needed added. Once the beef is tender and easy to eat the stew is ready to enjoy!
Calories: 258kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 477mg | Potassium: 1003mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 4198IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 4mg