Cheesy Potatoes For A Crowd
This easy recipe makes Cheesy Potatoes For a Crowd of 100 in a roaster. Only 6 ingredients mix together to make the best big batch of potatoes that I've had.
Servings 100 people
- 3 22 ounce cans Cream of chicken soup
- 6 cups sour cream
- 6 sticks butter softened
- 12 pounds Southern Style Hashbrown Potato Cubes
- 80 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
Grease a 22-quart roaster pan very well. Turn to 350°F.
Pour 1/4 of potatoes in an even layer in the bottom of the roasting pan.
In a mixing bowl mix half of soup, half of sour cream and half of well softened or melted butter.
Pour mixture and half of cheese over potatoes.
Layer another 1/4 of the potatoes and mix well with a spoon. Half of all ingredients should be mixed together in the roaster.
Add remaining potatoes to roaster.
Mix together remaining soup, sour cream and butter and pour over potatoes. Mix well.
Cover with a lid and stir every 20 - 30 minutes for at least 3 hours until the potatoes have reached your preferred tenderness.
- I like to sit potatoes and other ingredients out on the counter about an hour
- Butter must be well softened, sometimes I start with melted butter
- Southern style potatoes (tiny cubes) are easier to stir in a very large batch like this than hashbrowns
- Half of cream of chicken soup could be substituted for cream of mushroom soup
- Stir every 20 - 30 minutes to avoid burning in the corners and along the bottom
- Especially for the first hour I try to wipe down the sides of the roaster after stirring to help keep a neater look
- If a burnt piece surfaces during the stirring process scoop it out with a tablespoon and discard
- Cheese will melt a while before the potatoes are soft and tender, so sample often and keep stirring to determine when the potatoes are cooked to your preferred doneness
- The absolute fastest this recipe will be done is in 2.5 hours on 350 degrees F when stirred every 20 - 30 minutes
- I like to allow 4 hours for the recipe to cook since it is so large and can be turned down to keep warm
- Once potatoes have reached desired tenderness turn warm to "keep warm" and continue to stir every 20 - 30 minutes until serving
Calories: 246kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 52mg | Sodium: 372mg | Potassium: 212mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 562IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 221mg | Iron: 1mg