Sausage & Cream Cheese Stuffed Bell Pepper (Keto)
Sausage, cream cheese and shredded cheese mixes together to create an excellent low-carb filling for green bell peppers!This is an easy dinner recipe that our whole family enjoys and I love trading the sandwich bun for more vegetables!
Servings 6 people
- 6 green peppers
- 1 pound sausage ground beef can be substituted
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon Lowry's seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon minced onion or 1/2 cup freshly chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese Colby can be substituted
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 400°F and grease a 9x13 baking pan and a smaller square pan - I use an 8x8 baking dish.
Brown meat and drain.
Wash, clean and halve green peppers.
Add seasonings, cream cheese and cheddar cheese to meat.
Stuff peppers and bake covered for 15 minutes.
Add mozzarella cheese and bake uncovered for an additional 5 - 10 minutes until cheese is melted and peppers reach desired tenderness.
- Know what you like and choose more of those flavors for the stuffing
- Use your favorite combination to get 2 pounds of meat, substitutions are welcomed!
- We prefer Colby or cheddar cheese to mix in with the meat and mozzarella on top
- More cream cheese means the mixture is creamier, less cream cheese means the mixture is firmer
- Adding tomatoes is optional, we just like a few more vegetables added to the meat and cheese mixture
- If using tomatoes tiny pieces mix much better and ensure that canned tomatoes are well-drained or you may have soup
- We learned that more cream cheese makes more of a chip dip texture like our Fiesta Sausage Dip, so sometimes we use the whole block of cream cheese and serve with tortilla chips
- I like to cover the peppers with foil for the first 20 minutes to help trap in heat and soften the peppers without drying out the meat
- Wait to add mozzarella cheese on top until the last 10 minutes of baking time or that cheese will burn
- Bake uncovered so the cheese can melt and lightly brown for the last 10 minutes
Calories: 827kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 69g | Saturated Fat: 30g | Cholesterol: 196mg | Sodium: 1959mg | Potassium: 682mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1322IU | Vitamin C: 98mg | Calcium: 491mg | Iron: 3mg