Cran-Apple Spice Bars
Fresh cranberries and apples mixed with nuts and peanut butter chips make an amazing spice bar that we can't quit thinking about! Cran-Apple Spice Bars are a new favorite holiday dessert for our family!
Servings 9 people
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries coarsely chopped
- 1 cup apples peeled, pared and chopped
- 1/2 cup nuts chopped
- 1 cup peanut butter baking chips
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
Grease a 9-inch square pan and preheat oven to 350°F.
Combine flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, sugars and egg until well mixed.
Stir in vanilla and sour cream.
Gradually stir in flour mixture, then thoroughly mix in cranberries, apples, nuts and chips.
Spread mixture evenly in baking pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
When baking is almost complete, combine 1/2 cup sugar and water in a saucepan. Stir to dissolve sugar. Bring to boil over medium-high heat.
Add cranberries and cook until skins pop and mixture thickens. Berries will melt down a bit during this process.
Spread hot topping on baked mixture.
Cool and cut into bars.
- Peel and core apples before chopping
- Chop the apples in small pieces because large pieces of apples made the bar more difficult to cut and serve
- Prepare the cranberry glaze while the bars finish baking and pour the warm glaze over top of warm bars to keep the bars moist
- Choose your favorite flavor of nuts - we prefer walnuts
Calories: 430kcal | Carbohydrates: 66g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 39mg | Sodium: 166mg | Potassium: 173mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 48g | Vitamin A: 245IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 2mg